Location: Big Charity Island, Saginaw Bay entrance on Lake Huron, Michigan
Station Established: 1857
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1857
Construction Materials: BRICK
Tower Shape: CONICAL
Height: 45’5” above mean high water
Markings/Pattern: WHITE WITH BLACK LANTERN
Relationship to Other Structure: ATTACHED
Characteristic: Fixed White
Original Lens: KEROSENE
- The original keeper’s quarters was a duplex built of wood. The tower was attached by a walkway.
- The light was discontinued in 1939 and replaced with a light at Gravelly Shoal.
- The lighthouse is now privately owned. After being abandoned, the dwelling fell into severe decay and was razed in the spring 2003, leaving only the cellar remaining. A replica of the house was built on the old foundation.
Researched and written by Melissa Buckler, a Chesapeake Chapter of the U.S. Light House Society volunteer.
Content provided by www.uscg.mil