Location: MT. DESERT ISLAND/SOMES SOUND APPROACH
Station Established: 1828
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1855
Automated? YES 1966
Foundation Materials: NATURAL/EMPLACED
Construction Materials: BRICK
Tower Shape: CYLINDRICAL
Markings/Pattern: WHITE W/BLACK LANTERN
Relationship to Other Structure: SEPARATE
Original Lens: FOURTH ORDER, FRESNEL 1855
- 1828 – Lighthouse station established by order of President John Quincy Adams. Wooden lighthouse built on highest point of the island.
- 1855 – Present structure built, 4th order lens installed. Fuel changed from whale oil to lard oil.
- 1895 – Oil house built.
- 1903 – Lighthouse sheathed in an extra course of bricks in order to strengthen its framework.
- 1905 – Storage shed built.
- 1966 – Light automated – lens replaced by plastic lens.
- William Gilley (1828-1848)
- John Rich (1849-1853)
- Joseph Bunker (1853-1860)
- John Bunker (1860-1861)
- Freeman G. Young (1861-1867)
- Alden H. Jordan (1867-1883)
- Roscoe G. Lopaus (1883-1888)
- Howard P. Robbins (1888-1902)
- George Connors (c. 1902-1912)
- Vurney L. King (c. 1912 - ?)
- Joseph Muise (?-c.1936)
- F. Faulkingham (c. 1935)
- Wayne Edson Holcomb (1944-1945)
- Ernest Mathie (c. 1950)
- Coleman (c. 1950)
- Clements (c. 1953)
Researched and written by Marie Vincent, a volunteer through the Chesapeake Chapter of the U.S. Lighthouse Society.
Content provided by www.uscg.mil